SENIOR SURVEY –
Response Report to Bay Ridge Age Friendly Committee
The following surveys were taken at an AARP meeting at Shore Hill 9000 Shore Road, Bethany Senior Center, district office of Community Board Ten and local senior clubs. 182 Surveys were returned.
1. Which area of Brooklyn do you reside?
Bay Ridge - 152 Dyker Heights - 30
2. Do you feel you have enough time to cross street safely?
No - 139 Yes - 45
3. Are there streets you find difficult to cross? (multiple responses)
86th Street at 5th Avenue 28 seniors
91st and Shore Road 25 seniors
3rd Avenue – 80s and 90s 15 seniors
Shore Road at 91st Street 12 seniors
Bay Ridge Parkway at 4th Ave. 10 seniors
Fort Hamilton Pkway @ 65 St 18 seniors
Fort Hamilton Pkway @ 75 St 8 seniors
4th Avenue – 80s and 90s 7 seniors
69th Street at 3rd Avenue 5 seniors
86th Street at 4th Avenue 9 seniors
Marine at 4th Avenue 4 seniors
68 Street at Colonial Road 4 seniors
Bay Ridge Avenue at 12th Ave 4 seniors
4. a. Are you familiar with CityBench?
Yes – 79 No – 19
b.Do you need to rest walking?
Yes – 75 No - 20
5. Locations for City Bench Requests.
86th Street at 3rd Avenue
81st Street Overpass – B16, B70 bus
1037 72nd Street (Bethany Lutheran Church)
6. a. Do you think your immediate neighborhood has enough lighting in the evening?
Yes 74 No 26
b. Where would you like to see more lighting?
Side streets in the 90s
Marine between 4th and 5th Avenues
Along Shore Road
7. Are street signs visible enough for you to read easily?
Yes - 62 No – 38
If not why?
Print too small - 60; Faded Signs – 23; Blocked Trees- 7; Poor lighting-10
8. Do you use a wheelchair, walker or cane?
Yes-28 No – 68
9. Are crosswalks manageable?
Yes 32 No 60
Locations – better crosswalks
91st at Shore Road
91st at 3rd Avenue
3rd Avenue between 91st and 92nd Street
* Want to see more police on streets
* Drug dealing – disorderly groups on 72nd Street at 3rd Avenue